Monday, June 18, 2012

The Basics


Hi everyone,

I apologize for writing my first blog update almost 2 weeks into my time here. You may have thought I cut all ties to home, converted to Islam, grew a (boy-ish) beard, and joined a goat caravan. Theres more truth to that fantasy than you might think... 

A Day in the Life:


I wake up around 5am when Hichem (my research associate, business partner, adventure confidant, and friend) wakes for his morning prayer. It often begins with his initial morning confusion of "Ah! Ahhh! Where am I? Brent, where are you?!" / "...Im against the wall."/ "Where?!" / "Dude, over here. Trying to sleep..." I then fall back asleep until around 10am (5am eastern time) and eat breakfast. We walk down a few steps to our courtyard - an open-roof, matted floor/ walls, liberally cushioned, on top of an underground water storage tank room. We're presented with a basket of bread (a fusion of pita and Pepperidge Farm white) with an array of dipping things. Almond butter, olive oil, argan oil, raw honey, raw butter, and olives. While were chowin, someone brings out the Moroccan green tea. But this gem cant be poured in a standard way, it has to be poured from at least a foot above the tiny glass. Similar to playing with food as a kid but way better. 

We get dressed in modest clothing (pants & a t-shirt, but I only brought 2 pairs of pants... opps) and head out for the day. We travel by car and foot to different villages to talk to people about water. How the systems are changing, what the problems are, what they use it for, how they collect it, how they store it... We search for everything. We talk with everyone who is willing to take the time to talk with us. Hichem speaks to them in Arabic, translates for me, asks again, translates, clarifies. We both feverishly write in our notebook and take pictures of what they speak about. 

We have lunch back at the village. Usually some type of tajin (not sure if that's how its spelled. Its like a crockpot, but its clay and moroccan and delicious.) We all sit on the ground around a table digging in with just our fingers. If you're not fast enough, someone else will each your share. Sometimes it's fish. We have pick our the bones before we eat it. Sometimes its goat - leg, intestines, foot. 

After lunch, we might go somewhere else to gather more information, or I may even transcribe my notes onto my computer for safe keeping. It depends.

When I'm in need for some relaxation, Ill go with Hichem, Aziz (the head of the organization we're working with), and/or others to pray. We perform the ceremonial washing of our hands, face, arms, feet, mouth, nose... everything, before prayer. We either head to the nearest mosque or pray in one of the courtyards. I find all the motions & personal interactions relaxing. Even though I enjoy it for different reasons, it doesnt seems to matter to the other people praying.  

Every couple of days, i take a shower. It's a change from my daily shower in the states. Maybe its the dry heat or my new shortest haircut in Brent history, but i feel little urge to shower. 

I've been taking a ton of pictures. So much that I found it necessary to use my Western touristy camera holder that conveniently attaches to my belt. I kinda look like a dweeb (for the adults, see: nerd) but the practicality outweighs the fashion. Similar to birkenstocks and socks, but those are completely fashionable. 

Our Task: 


After about 2 excitingly frustrating weeks, we have a clear grasp of what is happening. There is a problem here, but not as we expected from our research at Wesleyan. In fact, our initial method needs a complete makeover (Home Addition?). The problem here isn't quite water scarcity & it's not quite water quality. It's not quite accessibility & it's not quite water's high price. No. Here in the Imsouane region of Morocco, there is a problem with perception. We are in the middle of a horrid drought - it has only rained once so far - yet with the villagers constantly updated water systems, they are using more water now than ever before. How could that be? They are beginning that harmfully comfortable misconception that water is limitless. This belief will cause extreme harm in Northern Africa especially. Our task is to relate water scarcity and water use in a beneficial, inventivised package.

We believe that we've found the village to do this. I cant go into too many details yet, but once we've figured things out, I'll fill you in. 

In order for us to gain the trust of the villagers & to help with the education problem here, we are teaching math and english to the kids. Once the water project gets going, we'll be teaching 1-2 hour lessons about everyday. These kids are so eager to learn.

Now you know the basics. Emails are greatly appreciated! I have limited internet access in the village, so I can only really handle emails. So, send me some! Ill be sure to write back with some pictures too. bpacker{at}wesleyan.edu

Brent



1 comment:

  1. Like the after shopping picture. Are those presents for me??
    ~D

    ReplyDelete